Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Re: 09-01-15 Supreme Court Turns Down KY Clerk who Won't Marry Gays

Chris, 

No doubt the resistance here is a deliberate organized movement to test the court ruling.  That has failed.

I am for gay marriage but it was never a hot political issue for me.  I felt that our society has much bigger problems to worry about.   I thought that the Supreme Court overstepped its bounds, and I thought that this should have been best resolved through the political process as 37 states had already done.  However, I am glad that gay marriage is legal.

I like the radio talk show host I heard in Indianapolis who said that he was for gay marriage because they should suffer as much as the rest of us.  I got a really big laugh out of that one.

Seriously, I think that gay marriage will lead to more stable relationships and guarantee rights that would have otherwise been denied.

If a person is strongly religious, their belief gives them no room to compromise.  Mildly religious people aren't as worried about it.  I think that it would be wrong to force someone to do something that they think would violate their religion.  That person thinks that they would go to hell, and would be forced to quit to avoid doing so.  And it won't make them any less bigoted.  It would probably make them more bigoted.   

​In the case of the instrangagent clerk, that person should be reassigned, or an alternate clerk should be made available.  

I don't believe in religion, but I do believe religious freedom.   I believe in all forms of freedom.  It is what makes us who we are.  To believe otherwise is to believe in some degree of dictatorship.

-- 


No comments:

Post a Comment