Sunday, May 3, 2020

People aren't doing enough.

When I passed Wendy's, there was a huge line of cars in the drive-through, and people, mostly employees apparently on break, were hanging out together maybe with some other people in the parking lot.

I went to Sam's Club to get some supplies, and there were people there not wearing masks and families shopping together. I have also seen families shopping together at Walmart. There is no reason for more than one person from a family to be doing the shopping, and more people need to be using the curbside pickup as I have been doing.

I have also seen people in my neighborhood having outdoor parties.

The mood of the country seems to be that we want this to be over. People are encouraged by news that some restrictions will be eased up, albeit rather slowly and in some places more than others, so they are taking this as an indication that they can do whatever they want.

However, the pandemic is not over. The number of cases continues to increase, and it doesn't even show signs of slowing down.

I need to remind people that the death rate in Indiana is 5%. I do not want to die, nor I do not want my close relatives to die, nor would I want to be terribly sick gasping for air for a couple of weeks assuming that I didn't die in the process.

What restrictions will be lifted will be done slowly and first in specific areas that appear to have less risk. We need to test the waters slowly to see if we can get by with this.

Many people see this as both a freedom issue and an economic issue. Although I sympathize, our country has been through much larger struggles where people had to make sacrifices. In times of emergency, the government has to go to extraordinary measures not only to keep us safe but to also keep the economy going.

In this regard, consider a hypothetical scenario: Suppose for whatever reason there was radioactive fallout and the government told us that in order to stay safe and to keep others safe that we need to stay in our homes most of the time. In this case, how many people would defy the government orders in the name of freedom?

--

No comments:

Post a Comment