I'm sure that the anti-vaccine people will have a field day with this. I think that it is helpful to have some perspective...
1. This was an in vitro study testing liver cells outside the human body.
2. The injections are not given to the liver. It is thought that the injections stay in the muscles unless the injection hits a blood vessel, and this is thought by some to be responsible for the relatively rare cases of myocarditis. Some have advocated that the procedure should be to aspirate the injection, which is to first pull back on the plunger to make sure it does not draw blood, so as to not accidentally inject into a blood vessel.
3. The human body has around 37 trillion cells. Viruses modify the DNA in our cells all the time. The immune system finds these cells and destroys them.
4. A change to the DNA of a few of our cells does not mean that our DNA is permanently altered.
5. The liver cells with the modified DNA exhibit the spike protein on their surface, which means that if this were to happen in the human body then these cells would be targeted by the immune system.
6. Hypothetically, if some liver cells were to have their DNA altered and start producing extra spike proteins, then this would add to our immune response to the spike protein.
7. Despite many claims to the contrary, the spike protein is not toxic. https://www.factcheck.org/2021/07/scicheck-covid-19-vaccine-generated-spike-protein-is-safe-contrary-to-viral-claims/
8. The COVID-19 disease can have serious long-term side effects.
9. Liver damage is one of the major symptoms of the COVID-19 disease, so pick your poison. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8192279/