Saturday, April 15, 2023

Star Trek Picard's Queer Problem

In response to:


I wrote:

I watch this channel because of the intelligence of the content.

I think that it is quite possible that there is a political metaphor in the show and I find this perspective and video interesting.  I think that you might be right, but it might also be reading too much into the story.

I am okay with people living their lives how they want.  I believe in freedom, as long as that doesn't interfere with the rights of others.  This is where things get awkward because the Woke movement has become coercive.  Jordan Peterson objected to mandatory speech codes and had his livelihood threatened twice and told that he must attend retraining to keep his license.  The Woke movement has been an attack on free speech.  In England, people have been arrested and fined for what is considered improper speech.

I have refused to call a man by his preferred pronouns because I believe that would be a lie.  Nobody should be able to force me to lie and violate my beliefs.  The actress Gina Carano, who I very much liked in The Mandalorian, had her career ruined over this same issue.  Lucasfilm canceled the series that she was going to star in, a series that I was looking forward to watching, fired her, and the agency that represented her dropped her contract.  I feel that this is grossly unjust that the mob can attack someone and ruin their life over a political disagreement.

I do not agree that a man can become a woman, nor do I think that it is proper to transition children, but I don't in any way resent or disagree with adults having the freedom to live their lives the way that they want.

Best wishes,

John Coffey

No comments:

Post a Comment