Saturday, December 26, 2020

Evil Isn’t A Sickness

Great discussion about how personal responsibility goes hand in hand with freedom.

Thursday, September 17, 2020

People Who Accuse Trump of Being a “Fascist” Prove They Have No Idea What the Word Means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRKCg9nseOc

The central tenet of the original Fascists was state control of the economy.  There were other issues, but their motto was "Everything in the state.  Nothing outside the state."   Since World War II, the political left has tried to pin this term on the political right, which is the opposite of the political right believes.

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Fwd: Climate change

This is an informative video on climate change.  The first four parts, lasting about 17 minutes, echo many of the points I made.  Then he gets into the idea that Climate Change is bad and how we need to switch to renewable energy.




---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: John Coffey <john2001plus@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 10:27 PM
Subject: Climate change
To:


It has taken 140 years for the Earth's temperature to go up 1-degree celsius. The climate crisis is just a political agenda pushed by a very biased IPCC. Their actions have shown extreme bias, such as not hiring anyone who did not already believe in catastrophic man-made warning, which is what they are supposed to evaluate, trying to censor papers by skeptical scientists, trying to hide the massive 2007 decline in temperature, calling for the elimination of capitalism, having 1/3 of their staff be members of an environmental lobbying group, which is a conflict of interest since they are a government organization part of the UN, and finally calling catastrophic man-made warning "their religion."

The predictions are that we will go from 400 parts per million atmospheric CO2 to 800 parts per million by the year 2100, at which time we will have used up most fossil fuels. The Climate Sensitivity to the doubling of CO2 is predicted to be 1.5 to 3 degrees Celsius depending upon who you ask. This predicted Climate Sensitivity has gone down considerably over time to better match the observations.

We are not in a climate crisis. Deadly storms have dropped in half. All the climate models have predicted more heat than what reality has produced. The climate modelers admit that they can't accurately predict the effect of clouds, which we will get more of as the Earth warms. There is widespread disagreement about whether clouds produce negative or positive feedback. For 20 years the skeptics have predicted that clouds would cause negative feedback.

The benefit of increased CO2 on the greening of the Earth is massive, allowing us to have record crop yields to feed a larger world population. Sea level rise has been modest, although still potentially a danger.

CO2 does not block infrared radiation. It scatters it in all directions. You have to keep doubling the level of CO2 to get the same effect as the last doubling, which means that there is a logarithmic return. So it is logical that as CO2 goes up that we would reach a new temperature equilibrium.

There is strong evidence that the sun and the Earth's precessing orbit in something called the Milankovich cycles are the primary drivers of temperature. Geological data over long time periods show temperature increases preceding CO2 increases and not the other way around. This is because temperature increases cause the oceans to release CO2 gasses stored in them. To be honest, the temperature cycle is augmented by the released CO2.

Sadly, we are running out of CO2. Look at the CO2 level data for the last 20 million years and you will see a nosedive until humans reversed this trend. (Natural processes sequester CO2 underground as it combines with rock in the presence of moisture.) This is the reason that we have been in the Pleistocene ice age for the last 2.5 million years. During the last period of glaciation, just over 15,000 years ago, the CO2 level dropped to just above the level that all plants die from lack of CO2. If this trend were allowed to continue, had we not intervened, eventually, the CO2 levels will get too low to sustain plant life. The next period of glaciation will happen in about 10,000 to 15,000 years unless we do something to prevent it, and these periods of glaciations over geological time periods have caused massive declines in human population.

The brief warm period that the Earth experienced over the last 10,000 years is a bit of anomaly. It is no coincidence that all of human civilization arose during this brief warm period, starting in the Fertile Crescent in the middle east. It is here that 10,000 years ago humans first learned how to use grains, and this gave rise to civilization leading to everything we know today. (Interestingly enough, about 300 years after humans learned to make bread, they learned how to make beer, which has been a major part of human civilization ever since. The ancient Egyptians paid the pyramid builders with beer. They were expert beer makers, and beer was a regular part of the Egyptian diet. They used to make a porridge consisting of beer mixed with grains and eat it for breakfast.)
Best wishes,

John Coffey


--

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Fwd: Pittsburgh antibody for covid

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Larry Trout

University of Pittsburgh scientists discover antibody that 'neutralizes' virus that causes COVID-19

Its component is 10 times smaller than a full-sized antibody




Friday, September 11, 2020

National Geographic - Inside 9/11: Zero Hour (Disc 2) 2005

I think that this is a fascinating documentary about 9-11. I have been watching it every year on the anniversary of 9-11. The video is no longer free on youtube, but I found it on bitchute...

https://www.bitchute.com/video/c8rGZnMGduja/

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Pfizer's Latest Stealthy Move Could Help It Win the Coronavirus Vaccine Race

Trevor Noah EMBARRASSING GENDER REVEAL CRITICISM - YouTube

DeBlasio stops housing homeless in upper class NYC neighborhood

Fwd: YIKES: Oscars Announce New WOKE Guidelines For Best Picture Nominees; Sh...

No matter how virtuous a message might be, I don't go to the movies to be lectured to.

From: Albert Nelms

In the past, these guidelines seem to be implemented whenever a best picture Oscar win was decided. Now, it's just become official. My disdain for woke culture and it's implementation in the entertainment industry has reached a new high. I simply want to escape from my reality for 90-120 minutes, eat some popcorn, and drink a soda. I don't want to be fed "wokeness" throughout a movie. I can get that B.S. for free. So why do I need Hollywood to produce a movie in which they expect me to pay to eat their message?


Fwd: How the Far Left Fails Basic Math

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Return to normalcy

The campaign slogan of Waren G. Harding in 1920 was "Return to Normalcy" after World War 1.

"America's present need is not heroics, but healing; not nostrums, but normalcy; not revolution, but restoration; not agitation, but adjustment; not surgery, but serenity; not the dramatic, but the dispassionate; not experiment, but equipoise; not submergence in internationality, but sustainment in triumphant nationality."

Seems apropos to today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_normalcy

Dixie Brewery to Change Name | Brewbound

https://www.brewbound.com/news/dixie-brewery-to-change-name/

This feels unnecessary. From Wikipedia: 'The song "Dixie" a favorite of President Abraham Lincoln (himself born in Dixie); he had it played at some of his political rallies and at the announcement of General Robert E. Lee's surrender.'

Monday, September 7, 2020

Fixing Daylight Saving Time Is THIS Easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMrb56dDpic

I hate this clock switching with a passion.  I've been an advocate of what I call "comprise time".  Since we can't figure out what time we want to be on, let's split the difference and go permanently halfway between.

Friday, September 4, 2020

Media & The Democrats Are Attempting The Biggest Narrative Flip In Presidential Campaign History

Why are we still having riots after 3 months?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LW4G2YnaLM

Re: Tucker: The rise of left-wing rage mobs in America

Three months ago I responded to a message on Facebook criticizing Donald Trump this way...  Speaking of which, why are things no different three months later?

"When the far left is trying to burn down our cities, beating up men and women, attacking cops, throwing Molotov cocktails, trying to impose communism on us, trying to take away our freedom, trying to impose a completely false narrative of a racist America, claiming that good people who are not racist are actually racist, exploiting a completely and provable false narrative of police racism and genocide against Black people, did you really think that I was going to abandon Trump amidst all this?

With all the lies against Trump, and the attempts to tear down our society and take away our freedom, the people who love freedom in this country have taken notice. When our cities are in flames then you are going to see a repeat of 1968 where the silent majority is going to vote in the candidate who most represents law and order. It is going to be the biggest backlash in history. (If this doesn't happen then I will think that my birthright to live in a free country has been stolen from me. The United States has already gone way past constitutional limits on government power.)

Just my opinion, but I think this is correct.

Best wishes,

John Coffey"

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 8:50 PM Albert Nelms wrote:
I agree. He usually makes good points. He's been ranting a little more than normal lately. I think, like most of us, he's tired of seeing stupid things happen in this country. When BLM, Antifa, the Democrats, and the extreme left conspire against facts, Republicans and Trump, it's very frustrating.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 8:46 PM John Coffey <john2001plus@gmail.com> wrote:
Although three-month-old news, he makes some good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6Y3a4BV6E




The Shocking And Twisted Origins Of Modern Gender Theory EXPLAINED


I'm sure that this is a complex topic.   There are going to be a few people who just cannot identify with their biological sex.  Another video claimed that transgender people show one brain difference of their identified sex.  (at 19:30).  Overall this is a fascinating video talking about differences between men and women... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhwO8u4sZ-8

Tucker: The rise of left-wing rage mobs in America

Although three-month-old news, he makes some good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6Y3a4BV6E

Tucker: Left ignores Ivy League discrimination against Asian, white students

SEATTLE BLM DEMAND WHITE PEOPLE GIVE UP THEIR HOMES

Monday, August 31, 2020

Greg Gutfeld: Democrats ignored violent riots until it impacted the polls - YouTube

BLM 'Activists' Celebrated as Trump Supporter Was Killed | RealClearPolitics


I'm seeing a frequent narrative by some people on the left where they claim that the protests are peaceful and that all the violence is coming from white supremacists.  They further blame Trump for the violence, saying that he encourages it.   However, that is contradicted by months of video of the protestors being violent.  There is also very little evidence for white supremacists being involved at all.

I think that this qualifies as gaslighting.  Who are you going to believe, Leftists, or your lying eyes?

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Saturated fat and dairy

The other day I saw an article saying that if you want to live longer, avoid saturated fat in meat and dairy. Today I also saw an article saying that we should ditch dairy because of the saturated fat. Fair enough. I'm down with that. However, today I see articles, as I have many times, saying that there is no evidence that saturated fat causes heart disease, cholesterol really isn't bad for us, and dairy is good for us.

This frustrates me a little bit.

I will err on the side of caution and buy skim milk, lower my saturated fat intake, and eat more plant-based foods as I am already doing.

--
Best wishes,

John Coffey

http://www.entertainmentjourney.com

Obesity Linked With Higher Risk for Coronavirus Complications – May Spell Problems for COVID-19 Vaccine

COVID case percentage compared to population

Bartholomew County has 1,025 positive cases compared to a population of 83,779, which is 1.2%. However, the county was in the news today as having one of the most increasing number of cases in the state. The state of Indiana has 89,359 cases compared to a population of 6.732 million, which is 1.3%.

The United States has 5,992,468 cases with a population of 328.2 million, which is 1.8%.

The world has 24,281,199 cases with a population of 7.8 Billion, which is 0.3%.

Since I have many friends in Utah, the state of Utah has 50,174 cases with a population of 3,282,120, which is 1.5%.

--

COVID-19 is not a Hoax

From: Albert Nelms
Date: Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:44 PM
Subject: COVID-19 is not a Hoax

People who firmly believe COVID-19 is a hoax seem to be in the news daily as they die from the virus. Sad.

https://apple.news/A1G2tffwdQW-XPMYzHS3Jdw

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Phosphates and dishwasher detergents

For about 50 years the United States has been phasing out phosphates used in detergents, and they were completely banned about 10 years ago. The phosphates cause algae blooms that are supposedly harmful to fish.

The problem is that the phosphates were very effective in automatic dishwashing detergents. They not only helped clean the dishes, but they acted as a kind of water softener to prevent hard water stains, calcium build-up, on glassware on other dishes. About a dozen years ago there were a ton of complaints by consumers that dishwashers weren't getting dishes clean as they used to, and because of the hard water stains, the glassware looked dirtier after they were washed in the dishwasher than before.

I have been having this problem. There were noticeable hard water stains on my glassware and other dishes. So I tried washing once with dishwashing detergent, and a second time with no detergent, but I poured vinegar into a 16 once container and set it in the top rack of the dishwasher. After the second wash, everything was spotless. Since the vinegar is acidic, it dissolved any calcium stains.

It is believed by many people that "Tang" can be used to clean out your dishwasher. Since "Tang" is an acid, it might actually work. I had a dishwasher salesman tell me to put "Tang" powder in a cup on the top rack. (I would not do this with the detergent, because one is basic and the other is acidic. At the very least they would cancel each other out, if not react with each other in unpredictable ways.)

However, if you have stains in your dishwasher, bleach is much more effective. In my old house, I had a cheap GE dishwasher that was not stainless steel inside, but it had a cheap plastic interior. That interior got so badly stained that I thought that I was going to have to replace the dishwasher. After I played around with the dishwasher, I realized that each wash would go through three cycles: an initial rinse and drain cycle, a long wash cycle, followed by another drain and rinse and drain cycle. All dishwashers work this way. To solve my stain problem, I waited for the long wash cycle to start, and then I poured a bottle of bleach into the dishwasher. However, when it got to the final drain and rinse cycle, which could have drained out all the bleach, I turned the knob back to the wash cycle so that the bleach would not drain out. I did this a few times so that there was plenty of time for the bleach to circulate in the dishwasher. The end result was amazing because the dishwasher was spotless inside.

--

Dr Rashid Buttar DROPS Knowledge Bombs IMPORTANT

I don't know for sure who sent me this video, but I saved it to watch later.

https://youtu.be/TU2eBGmgaM8

I wrote in the comments:  

I have never seen a video that uses so many words to say so little. Are we presented with false information every day? Yes, because different people have different opinions on what is true. We are not having the wool pulled over our eyes if we stay informed. However, in this video, the presenter could stand for just about anything because he doesn't say what he is for. I see from Wikipedia that he is an anti-vaxxer which is a very bad thing because it costs lives. This is what Wikipedia says about him: "Rashid Ali Buttar is an American conspiracy theorist, anti-vaccine proponent, and an osteopathy practitioner from Charlotte, North Carolina. He is known for his controversial use of chelation therapy for numerous conditions, including autism and cancer. He has twice been reprimanded by the North Carolina Board of Medical Examiners for unprofessional conduct and cited by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for illegal marketing of unapproved and adulterated drugs."

Debunking Michelle Obama's Claim About Trump, Biden & "Empathy"

Sunday, August 16, 2020

How Nebraska elites screw farmers & get away with it.

https://youtu.be/r2AqVfIrjZ0

In theory, if I don't like Apple's repair policies then I don't have to buy Apple products. 

However, I feel like Apple has engaged in some monopolistic practices that are pretty questionable, like using the law to throw someone in jail for charging a nominal fee for burning an install disk on software that Apple gives away for free, and using the customs agency to confiscate refurbished Apple parts as "counterfeit", even though the Apple parts were sold as refurbished.

Apple should not try to monopolize repair manuals and repair parts in such a way that only Apple can do the repairs.  Most of the time Apple will tell a customer that it is way too expensive to make the repair and that the customer needs to buy a new item.  One extreme example of this was when Louis Rossmann was able to repair a loose connection in a couple of minutes that an Apple repair person said would cost $1,000 to fix.

When I buy a product, especially an expensive product, there is an implied contract or at least assumption that if I need it repaired then I can get it repaired and at a reasonable cost.  If a company deliberately makes this difficult or monopolizes the repair service, then I feel that I am being denied reasonable choices that I should be allowed to make.

This issue is by no means limited to Apple.  This is spreading to other products as they get more high tech.

Government interference in the marketplace often causes more problems than it solves, so I don't necessarily have a good solution.

Saturday, August 15, 2020

India (almost) has a COVID-19 Vaccine

Mandatory vaccine? Separation of powers.

https://youtu.be/2dC7ObVk8H4

These comments are interesting.  I think that it is very unlikely that the US government would ever force anyone to take a vaccine. It would not stand constitutional muster.

The COVID-19 pandemic is bad, but it is not so bad that the government needs to mandate vaccines.  More than enough people will get vaccinated voluntarily for there to be herd immunity.

Furthermore, if the vaccine works, then why would I need to force anyone else to take it?  As long as I take the vaccine then I will be (relatively) safe.

Chicago Shuts Down High-End District Overnight As Residents Fear More "Peaceful Protests"

https://youtu.be/CyLkbORFEaU

This might seem like month-old news, but the video has a couple of interesting parts to it.

Friday, August 7, 2020

Why Journalists and Academics Really Hate Trump So Much

https://youtu.be/BB9CA4zkviU

I don't think that envy is a part of this.  People hate Trump because he stands in the way of their agenda.  This started with the open border agenda, which is really just designed to create more Democrat voters, so they immediately accused him of racism. The moment he talked about criminals and rapists coming across the border, some people legitimately thought that he was racist, but others just saw him as an impediment to their plans.  The fact that he reflects the opinions of many Americans, if not the majority, and mostly tells the truth in his own boorish way doesn't help.
 

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

He Predicted a Trump Win in 2016. What's His Forecast For 2020? | NYT Op...

From: Albert Nelms 

This is very informative, concise, and interesting. Well worth your time.



Get Free Coffee at Panera Bread

I've been getting free coffee for about 3 weeks.  I need to cancel the coffee subscription by the end of September in order not to be charged.


Portland Protesters attack a pickup

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:02 AM Larry Trout wrote:
Protesters attack a pickup and ram a pickup with a motorcycle, then throw it in front of a truck to prevent it from leaving...

The night before....


Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Climate change

It has taken 140 years for the Earth's temperature to go up 1-degree celsius. The climate crisis is just a political agenda pushed by a very biased IPCC. Their actions have shown extreme bias, such as not hiring anyone who did not already believe in catastrophic man-made warning, which is what they are supposed to evaluate, trying to censor papers by skeptical scientists, trying to hide the massive 2007 decline in temperature, calling for the elimination of capitalism, having 1/3 of their staff be members of an environmental lobbying group, which is a conflict of interest since they are a government organization part of the UN, and finally calling catastrophic man-made warning "their religion."

The predictions are that we will go from 400 parts per million atmospheric CO2 to 800 parts per million by the year 2100, at which time we will have used up most fossil fuels. The Climate Sensitivity to the doubling of CO2 is predicted to be 1.5 to 3 degrees Celsius depending upon who you ask. This predicted Climate Sensitivity has gone down considerably over time to better match the observations.

We are not in a climate crisis. Deadly storms have dropped in half. All the climate models have predicted more heat than what reality has produced. The climate modelers admit that they can't accurately predict the effect of clouds, which we will get more of as the Earth warms. There is widespread disagreement about whether clouds produce negative or positive feedback. For 20 years the skeptics have predicted that clouds would cause negative feedback.

The benefit of increased CO2 on the greening of the Earth is massive, allowing us to have record crop yields to feed a larger world population. Sea level rise has been modest, although still potentially a danger.

CO2 does not block infrared radiation. It scatters it in all directions. You have to keep doubling the level of CO2 to get the same effect as the last doubling, which means that there is a logarithmic return. So it is logical that as CO2 goes up that we would reach a new temperature equilibrium.

There is strong evidence that the sun and the Earth's precessing orbit in something called the Milankovich cycles are the primary drivers of temperature. Geological data over long time periods show temperature increases preceding CO2 increases and not the other way around. This is because temperature increases cause the oceans to release CO2 gasses stored in them. To be honest, the temperature cycle is augmented by the released CO2.

Sadly, we are running out of CO2. Look at the CO2 level data for the last 20 million years and you will see a nosedive until humans reversed this trend. (Natural processes sequester CO2 underground as it combines with rock in the presence of moisture.) This is the reason that we have been in the Pleistocene ice age for the last 2.5 million years. During the last period of glaciation, just over 15,000 years ago, the CO2 level dropped to just above the level that all plants die from lack of CO2. If this trend were allowed to continue, had we not intervened, eventually, the CO2 levels will get too low to sustain plant life. The next period of glaciation will happen in about 10,000 to 15,000 years unless we do something to prevent it, and these periods of glaciations over geological time periods have caused massive declines in human population.

The brief warm period that the Earth experienced over the last 10,000 years is a bit of anomaly. It is no coincidence that all of human civilization arose during this brief warm period, starting in the Fertile Crescent in the middle east. It is here that 10,000 years ago humans first learned how to use grains, and this gave rise to civilization leading to everything we know today. (Interestingly enough, about 300 years after humans learned to make bread, they learned how to make beer, which has been a major part of human civilization ever since. The ancient Egyptians paid the pyramid builders with beer. They were expert beer makers, and beer was a regular part of the Egyptian diet. They used to make a porridge consisting of beer mixed with grains and eat it for breakfast.)
Best wishes,

John Coffey

Do Black Lives Matter Donations REALLY Go to Black Lives?

Why kids hate reading & why public school is at fault.

Sunday, August 2, 2020

Germans protest masks and social distancing

Maybe this was all predictable. If you were writing a novel about a pandemic, you could not a write better story. There are many unknowns, which causes uncertainty and agitation. We can't even agree on the death rate of the disease, because the numbers people come up with are all over the place. There are a great many numbers that seem way optimistic. I have seen multiple people, some of which I know, claim that they would not take the vaccine when and if it becomes available. People are protesting having to wear masks and social distance. I regularly see people claim that wearing a mask is a sign that you have been brainwashed. Some scientists are saying that it is safe for children to return to school, while others are saying the opposite. In parts of the country, some teachers are saying that they won't teach if the schools reopen.

The problem is that nobody is on the same page.  I thought that a crisis like this would bring us together, but it is more like it split us apart.

I do not consider wearing a face mask an infringement on my freedom. It is the equivalent of wearing a hard hat at a construction site. The danger is real, and we have to act accordingly. Masks provide a small amount of protection for us, which is far better than not wearing a mask, and a greater protection for others.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXixDcL6wlY  


--

DO NOT ACCEPT THE PREMISE OF ASSHOLES!

Very rambling, but relevant.  He talks about how people are trying to divide us into groups and how group identity is controlling our opinions.  He also rambles about other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T38pZ9pFXA0

Saturday, August 1, 2020

Brexit Morons

I'm sure that I have sent this before, so don't watch it if you don't want to, but I just love the way Pat Condell phrases things, and what he says seems just as relevant to the U.S., and even more so today than it did 2 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9T4dGAxtO0

COVID-19

This disease is not done with us yet. Almost exactly 1% of the state has been infected. The number of cases has doubled since the beginning of June. Does that mean that 2% will be infected by the beginning of October? I don't know, but two months ago we were having 500 new cases per day, and now it is closer to a thousand.

I don't know why, but the death rate in Utah compared to Indiana is several times less.

We can beat this disease by having everyone wear a mask in public and take precautions. This is not like the flu. COVID-19 attacks your organs and your heart. Be careful.

  


--

A Dangerous Precedent

FYI.

I find myself wondering if a Mexican person with a passport can just enter the U.S. (before the pandemic) or if that is restricted?  I know that people from the U.S. went to Mexico all the time.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: John Coffey
Date: Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: A Dangerous Precedent
To: Albert Nelms 

Al,

I went onto Google maps and used Street View to see the "wall" at several different locations.  It is easier to see on the Mexican side.  Roads in Mexico to exit the country to the US tend to run along the wall for some reason.  The areas on the Mexican side also tend to have many shops and businesses.  On the US side, there might not be anything but desert, or there might be a city there.

I don't like that we have to build a wall.  It is not beautiful as Trump said.  It is kind of ugly, but I think that it is necessary.

I am starting to think that different cultures have a hard time integrating together.  Look at all the problems that we have had.  Some people can come here and do well.  Others might hate us, or at least despise us.  At the moment we apparently despise ourselves.

--

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:09 PM Albert Nelms wrote:
Allowing illegal aliens to obtain professional licenses will set a dangerous precedent not only for New Jersey, but for the rest of the nation.


https://apple.news/Am2_grwUAS4-XI26h9Ax9gQ



--

‘Cancel culture’ crew nearly got me ‘expelled’ before I’d even started college

The administration at Marquette took the side of those trying to cancel me. In July, the dean of undergraduate admissions, Brian Troyer, and the associate dean of students, Erin Lazzar, ­arranged a Zoom meeting with me. "The content you are pushing out has created this environment that is contrary to a learning environment that we hope our students are ­engaged in," Lazzar said.

They were referring to my ­social-media support for the president, my belief that biological sex is immutable and my restrictionist position on illegal immigration — all views held by tens of millions of our fellow citizens on issues over which people can reasonably disagree.

During the discussion, the ­administrators emphasized that I wasn't yet a student and that my admission wasn't finalized. This implied threat came despite the fact that I had accepted my admissions offer, submitted the $500 ­deposit to secure my position and paid for my housing.

Most galling: Marquette administrators showed no interest in my wellbeing or in defending my free-speech rights. There has been no indication that the students who targeted me with mass harassment have been, or ever will be, disciplined. Marquette has made clear it isn't committed to protecting the free expression of conservatives like me.

Riots, Not Protests: The Media Is Gaslighting You

Fwd: Jim Jordan WRECKS Fauci, or does he?

FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: John Coffey
Date: Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: Jim Jordan WRECKS Fauci, or does he?
To: Albert Nelms 




On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 2:24 AM Albert Nelms wrote:
>
> Jim Jordan just wanted Fauci to say COVID-19 will spread in large protests where distancing and masks are ignored.


Actually, Dr. Fauci did say this and is on the record as having said that the protests would spread the virus.  What Jim Jordan tried to do is to get Dr. Fauci to say that the government should regulate or prohibit the protests, to which he responded that those with the power to do so should make that decision.  Obviously the question was loaded like he was trying to trap Dr. Fauci.  

Unfortunately, Jim Jordan made himself look bad. Fauci gave a totally accurate response and then Jim Jordan tried to jump all over Fauci and put words in his mouth that Fauci completely did not say.  He was clearly trying to set up Fauci.  This is just bad politics, if not dirty politics.

Listen to what Fauci actually says.

 
>
> My gripe with Fauci is when people look up to you, then you should lead. You can't lead part-time. Either you're 100% committed to leadership or you stay out of this role. If you want to lead, then you must lead by example. Once you claim a leadership role, it's a 24 hour, 7 day a week job. As a leader, your not allowed to treat it as a job. You don't become a leader when you punch the clock and then be something else when you punch out. I thought Fauci, not wearing his mask at the baseball game and not social distancing shows his lack of leadership. It shows he has a rules are for thee and not for me. When asked why he wasn't wearing a masked he said it was because he needed to drink water. Everyone can see his answer was not true. It may have been partially true, he needed water And too catch his breath, but it wasn't completely true. Why no social distancing?

You seem to not complain about Fauci's recommendations, but his personal character.  You don't know Fauci.  I try not to judge people's character unless they give me a really good reason to.

All these complaints seem petty to me, as well all the people who are saying, "Fauci is a scumbag", "Fauci is a hypocrite", "Fauci is a fraud", "Fauci is a liar", etc.

Imagine if reporters photographed your every move and then only showed the one part that made you look bad.  They certainly could find a way to make you look bad.  I think that you are being played.


>
> In retrospect, Fauci should simply have told the truth. He should of said I was hot, exhausted, and thirsty. I drank some water and needed to collect my breath. I became so happy to at the ballpark, I forgot about social distancing and wearing my mask. I should remind myself to follow my own advice in the future. Everyone would have been ok with that answer, because everyone understands what he's saying.

I think that this entire incident is taken out of context and blown out of proportion. I'm quite satisfied with his answer that he took his mask off temporarily because he was dehydrated and needed to drink water.  He probably gets tested regularly, and he was with his wife and a close friend that he probably feels safe with.  And there was nobody else around him, so I would argue that he was social distancing.  If you were out with your wife you wouldn't feel a need to social distance from her.


>
> The point is, when a senior public official is willing to quibble on the smallest of issues like wearing a mask. It shows a character flaw. What large issues Is Fauci willing to quibble about. What tightrope of twisted stories, omissions, and lies is he willing to weave? How many people will suffer and die because of them. How many have all ready suffered and died?


How often does Trump wear a mask?  Almost never.  Yet, Fauci takes his off for five minutes and people want to crucify him.


>
> Anyways, this is my take on Fauci. I hope he'll find a way to be a leader. We don't need medical politicians. We need medical professionals who will uphold their Hippocratic Oath regardless of the political environment.
>
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:07 PM John Coffey <john2001plus@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpkh8AZvho4


If you want me to hate Fauci, it is going to take more than this.  Seems like people hate him because they think that he is a liberal.

--
Best wishes,

John Coffey

http://www.entertainmentjourney.com


Fauci

Unfortunately, Jim Jordan made himself look bad. Fauci gave a totally accurate response and then Jim Jordan tried to jump all over Fauci and put words in his mouth that Fauci completely did not say.

Listen to what Fauci actually says.

I have friends telling me, "Fauci is a scumbag", "Fauci is a hypocrite", "Fauci is a fraud", "Fauci is a liar", etc.

However, it seems to me that people are using Fauci as a punching bag, maybe out of frustration.


--

Friday, July 31, 2020

Tucker: America is witnessing a brazen power grab

Message To Offended Muslims

Jim Jordan WRECKS Fauci, or does he?

Bloom County


Half the universe was missing... until now

Owner of the Jeep that was set on fire in Macomb County says he doesn’t ...

From: John Coffey 

Society is falling apart.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 3:52 AM Albert Nelms 
Some people can't help doing stupid and the have a total disregard for black lives.


A word on bullying.

When I first listened to this I thought that it was bull crap, but when I listened to it all the way through it sort of makes sense.  I don't know that his approach can apply to everyone.  I'm not sure why schoolchildren can't rely on authorities in the school to stop bullying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq60ccWHJcQ

Thursday, July 30, 2020

The Narrative Implodes: "Huge" Majority of Americans Concerned About Crime & Radical Prosecutors

Mysterious seeds


Re: As clear as Black and White

I don't have a problem with this.  Just as a matter of communication, it is true that terms for minority groups have special meaning and history, as opposed to the majority.

It is my opinion that we should do away with such designations.  Maybe not right away, since there is some value at the moment in communicating, but long term we should not divide human beings into groups.

-- 
Best wishes,

John Coffey




On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:36 PM Larry Trout wrote:
AP style guide changes...
AP style will continue to lowercase the term white in racial, ethnic and cultural senses. This decision follows our move last month to capitalize Black in such uses. We consulted with a wide group of people internally and externally around the globe and considered a variety of commentary in making these decisions.

There was clear desire and reason to capitalize Black. Most notably, people who are Black have strong historical and cultural commonalities, even if they are from different parts of the world and even if they now live in different parts of the world. That includes the shared experience of discrimination due solely to the color of one's skin.

There is, at this time, less support for capitalizing white. White people generally do not share the same history and culture, or the experience of being discriminated against because of skin color. In addition, we are a global news organization and in much of the world there is considerable disagreement, ambiguity and confusion about whom the term includes.

We agree that white people's skin color plays into systemic inequalities and injustices, and we want our journalism to robustly explore those problems. But capitalizing the term white, as is done by white supremacists, risks subtly conveying legitimacy to such beliefs.

Some have expressed the belief that if we don't capitalize white, we are being inconsistent and discriminating against white people or, conversely, that we are implying that white is the default. We also recognize the argument that capitalizing the term could pull white people more fully into issues and discussions of race and equality. We will closely watch how usage and thought evolves, and will periodically review our decision.

https://blog.ap.org/announcements/why-we-will-lowercase-white

We are today making an important change to AP style that stems from a long and fruitful conversation among news leaders, editors and diverse members of our staff and external groups and organizations.

AP's style is now to capitalize Black in a racial, ethnic or cultural sense, conveying an essential and shared sense of history, identity and community among people who identify as Black, including those in the African diaspora and within Africa. The lowercase black is a color, not a person.

We also now capitalize Indigenous in reference to original inhabitants of a place. 

These changes align with long-standing capitalization of other racial and ethnic identifiers such as Latino, Asian American and Native American. Our discussions on style and language consider many points, including the need to be inclusive and respectful in our storytelling and the evolution of language. We believe this change serves those ends.

As a global news organization, we are continuing to discuss within the U.S. and internationally whether to capitalize the term white. Considerations are many and include any implications that doing so might have outside the United States.

We continue to discuss other terms, including minorities and people of color, as well as the term "Black, Indigenous and people of color."

Our revisions come after more than two years of in-depth research and discussion with colleagues and respected thinkers from a diversity of backgrounds, both within and from outside the cooperative. The updates become part of the AP Stylebook's race-related coverage guidance

https://blog.ap.org/announcements/the-decision-to-capitalize-black

Housing prices in Utah

It is amazing how much houses are selling for in Utah. Not just new or nearly new houses. Some older houses that I had looked at and rejected are selling for $250K to $300K. My old three-bedroom house built in 1939, the same year The Wizard of Oz came out, which I paid $120K for, is now estimated at $476K. I didn't even like this house. It was too old and had too many problems.

I would not be able to afford to move back to Utah.

--

Herman Cain dies after contracting coronavirus - YouTube

https://youtu.be/faYwXee7zdQ

I once gave to his Presidential campaign.

Monday, July 27, 2020

Copy of my Facebook post regarding COVID-19

In regard to COVID-19, there is a matter that should be of great importance to everyone, which is the death rate of the disease. A few days ago I looked at the official number of cases and deaths and came up with a death rate of 3.55% for the US, 4% for the world, and 4.5% in my home state of Indiana. There is a John Hopkins website that shows the same thing. However, the number of deaths tends to lag behind cases by 2 to 4 weeks, so these numbers could be slightly low.

Unfortunately, there are a great many people, mostly in conservative media, who are claiming that the death rate is only 0.3%. They are constantly saying that this isn't much different than the seasonal flu. This number is being quoted so frequently that I tried to find some information to verify it, but I can't find anything. Even Bill Gates said that the death rate is less than 1%, but I can't find anything to back that either.

I think that this idea of a low death rate comes from a California study a couple of months ago that found that there were ten times as many positive tested cases in a sample population than what was predicted. So the argument was made that if there were ten times as many cases then the real death is ten times less. The problem is that the California study was criticized for its methodology. They did not do random sampling but instead asked for volunteers to be tested. The problem is that volunteers probably don't represent the population as a whole, and likely include many people who think that they may be infected.

It has also been pointed out that unknown cases could mean unknown deaths from COVID-19. Just because you have unknown cases doesn't necessarily mean that the death rate is lower.

So there seems to be much discussion about asymptomatic people because the argument seems to be that if there are a large number of asymptomatic cases then the death rate must be lower. However, studies from Wuhan and Italy both indicate that the number of asymptomatic cases is only around 40%. In addition, there are articles all over the place saying that asymptomatic people can still spread the disease.

In regard to unknown cases, I'm going to argue that it really doesn't matter. The number of *known* cases is still growing at apparently an ever-increasing rate, and those people are still dying at a rate of around 4%. About 3 days ago I noticed from official numbers that 100,000 people had died from COVID-19 worldwide in 12 days. That is around 34 times the number of deaths from 9-11, and we spent trillions of dollars fighting wars because of 9-11. As long as the number of known cases keeps increasing and those people keep dying at a significant rate, then this pandemic is a still serious problem.

There seems to be some resistance to mandates to wear masks. I don't consider wearing a mask to be an infringement on my freedom. It is the equivalent of wearing a hard hat in a construction zone.

I am appalled at how many people are espousing conspiracy theories in regard to COVID-19, especially in regard to a potential vaccine. A small part of the problem is that many politicians are trying to politicize the pandemic, so this contributes to people distrusting public officials and their motives.  

--
Best wishes,

John Coffey

http://www.entertainmentjourney.com

Sunday, July 26, 2020

A useless rambling bike ride video

The first 15 minutes of this is pretty interesting where he talks about the financial problems of New York City due to COVID-19.  It is like we are living in a dystopian science fiction novel.  I didn't so much watch it as I listen to it while I did other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdA5PXjCgU8&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=ngpUhcvOSCAe5_n5%3A6

Friday, July 24, 2020

Fwd: Iran sentences the death penalty for government protests

Since late June, 11 Iranian citizens - three in Tehran and eight in Isfahan - have been sentenced to death for taking part in mass anti-government protests in November 2019. Iranian journalist Ruhollah Zam, who was accused of fuelling anti-government protests through a popular Telegram channel in 2017, also received the death penalty during the same period.  

Also in June, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) shut down Iran's biggest anti-poverty NGO, the Imam Ali Society, and arrested its founding director, Sharmin Meymandi Nejad, citing "anti-Iran activities". The independent charity had attracted the regime's fury during last year's protests by criticising government officials for "calling the poverty-stricken demonstrators rioters and agents of the enemy". 

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/iran-message-people-revolt-die-200713160012571.html